The model you use to fit bra designs should reflect the final customer in age and body shape. The following variables should be considered :-
- Lifestyle including diet and exercise regime
- Ethnic background
- Hormonal activity
- Thickness and elasticity of skin
- Generic inheritance
The age of your model is very important when looking at a bra's underband measurement. The under 28's do not have a fixed breast plate so their underband measurement varies throughout the day. The underband measurement on a woman under the age of 28 can be 2.5cm bigger after eating a meal and conversely 2.5cm smaller just before a meal time.
Once you have found your house model, detailed measurements, describing the model's shape should be taken:-
- Measurement between 2 bust points
- Measurement from bust point to sternal notch
- Measurement from bust point to breast root (to help with bottom cup fit)
- Width across each breast (Centre front to breast root)
A flexi curve should be used to trace the shape of the model's breast root to establish/confirm the correct bra wire.
The above measurements should be used when creating patterns and checked with the model at each fit stage in the design and technical process.